Surgical weight loss is a significant life event that should not be undertaken lightly. Requiring a major change in both diet and lifestyle, bariatric procedures necessitate dedication and a commitment to change.
If you have been struggling to lose weight through non-surgical measures, like diet and exercise, one of our weight loss surgery options may be the best choice for you. Omaha Gastric Bypass is the number one name in bariatric surgery, providing a safe and effective way to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. Our weight loss team is ready to help you explore a leaner tomorrow.
Am I a Candidate?
Despite the growing popularity of weight loss surgery, not all interested individuals are considered a good fit for a procedure. In general, weight loss surgical candidates at Omaha Gastric Bypass must meet numerous criteria, including:
- Prolonged effort to lose weight conventionally without success
- A BMI of 40 or higher
- A BMI of 35 to 39.9 and a serious weight-related health condition, like diabetes or high blood pressure
- A required weight loss of over 100 pounds
- Commitment to healthy living upon the completion of surgery
In some situations, such as women planning to become pregnant in the next two years or adolescents, criteria may differ slightly. Each patient at Omaha Gastric Bypass will receive an individualized evaluation to determine eligibility.
The Weight Loss Surgery Process
Once a doctor deems you a candidate for weight loss surgery, you will not be immediately ready to schedule a procedure. Working with our industry-leading medical, counseling, and dietetics teams, patients are monitored for up to six months, implementing the lifestyle changes necessary succeed after the conclusion of surgery.
Should weight loss through diet, exercise, and adherence to prescribed regimens go smoothly, you will then speak with our surgical team to plan your next moves. While end results are similar, each surgery has slight differences as well as pros and cons. Your doctor will assist you in reviewing your options and making a decision that is right for you and your health.
Weight Loss Surgery Options
Omaha Gastric Bypass offers three forms of weight loss surgery: gastric bypass, adjustable gastric band, and sleeve gastrectomy.
- Gastric Bypass: the oldest and best known of available bariatric procedures, a gastric bypass entails dividing the stomach into a smaller pouch and a larger pouch, and surgically attaching the small intestine to the newly created smaller pouch.
- Adjustable Gastric Band: a gastric band procedure requires the placement of an adjustable gastric band around the top portion of the stomach that slows the passage and digestion of food in order to reduce appetite and portion size.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: A sleeve gastrectomy is a procedure that significantly reduces the size of the stomach. In surgery, 70 to 80% of the stomach is removed, leaving a thin tubular pouch that resembles the size and shape of a banana.
If you think one of the weight loss surgery options is right for you, Omaha Gastric Bypass is happy to assist. Call 402-572-3663 or 402-758-5544 to schedule a consultation and explore what bariatric surgery can do for you.